Saturday 27 October 2012

Cyndi Tefft: The Interview Part II

And a happy Saturday to everyone, we're back with Cyndi Tefft's Interview part two of three. If you guys have any questions for Cyndi that you think everyone would be interested in knowing (within reason) leave it in the comments, email me or you can talk to Cyndi directly in the 'Follow Cyndi' tab up top. And if you haven't already marked it on your calendars remember that Aiden will be chatting on twitter on November 3rd from 7-8PM CT. Enough with that, let's get to the interview:

Where did the idea for ‘Between’ come from?
I wanted to write a good versus evil story, but I felt that angels and demons had been done quite a bit, so I was looking for something different. I landed on the idea of a guide who meets you and transports you to heaven, which allowed me all kinds of freedom to create the world where that meeting takes place. And, of course, being a huge fan of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series, my guide had to be an 18th century Scottish Highlander!

Can you talk a bit about your writing process?
Well, I’d like to say that I have a steadfast routine, that I write every day, and that I have a bunch of quirky habits, but none of that would be true. Sometimes I write during my lunch break at work, and I often write on Saturday mornings at my local coffee shop. Classical or Scottish folk music is on my laptop while I write (since I find songs with lyrics distracting, as I like to sing along). And even if I have loads of time to write (which is highly unusual), I can only really write for about an hour or two before I’m tuckered out. Tapping into the creative side of my brain is a bit like holding my breath under water!

Any hints about Book 3 (a title yet)?
The third book in the series does have a title, but I haven’t released it yet. I plan to do so in conjunction with the release of the first chapter. Hmm... maybe in the next month or so!

How do you balance writing and family life? How often does one get in the way of the other?
Family life always comes first, which is part of the reason that I don’t write very fast! I carve out time when I can to make progress on the book, but it’s sporadic. Many authors talk about going “into the cave” to write and ignoring their family to meet deadlines. I’ve never really wanted that. I do wish I had more time to write, but not at the expense of the ones I love. Life is too short.

Do you have a tagline for readers who’ve never read your books?
I usually tell people, “Between is a time travel love story between a girl who dies in an accident and the 18th century Scotsman who comes to take her to heaven.” Does that sound good to you? I’m open to suggestions! LOL I think the “elevator pitch” is one of the hardest things to come up with!
 
Favourite movie of all time?
You’d probably expect me to say Braveheart or Rob Roy, but it’s actually When Harry Met Sally. I love a good romcom. Other faves include While You Were Sleeping, 13 Going On 30, What Women Want, and the Cutting Edge (toe pick!).

No comments:

Post a Comment