Saturday 20 October 2012

Happy Birthday to Cyndi Tefft

Happy Birthday Cyndi *throws confetti*. Today is Cyndi Tefft's birthday and to celebrate we have an amazing treat for all you Aiden's Angels. An exclusive interview with the illustrious creator of our beloved Aiden in not one, not two but THREE parts. Part one is here for you today as a special bonus gift. Not only that but the swag contest ends today. I'll announce the winner tomorrow. So everyone wish Cyndi a happy birthday and tune in next Saturday for the second installment of....The Interview! with Cyndi Tefft

What inspired you to start writing?
In 2009, I was watching an interview with Stephenie Meyer and she said that she was a stay at home mom who had a dream and decided to write about it. She seemed so normal--not like some die-hard writer who’d spent years in academia, learning how to craft the perfect novel--and I thought to myself, “Hey, if she can do it, maybe I can, too.” So I started, just to see if I could do it. And boy, have I learned more about writing (and myself) than I ever expected to during this process!

Did you always plan on being self-published?
Not at all, actually! After receiving over 100 rejections from agents and editors, the roller coaster of hope and despair was more than I could take, and I tried to throw in the towel. I tried to walk away, but Aiden MacRae kept pulling me back. I couldn’t leave him. So I decided to share his story in whatever method I had available. My goal was not to sell a gajillion copies, but simply to finish what I’d started. Meeting incredible people who have fallen in love with Aiden is more than I ever dared to dream.

Who reads your book first?
When I wrote the first draft of Between, a coworker of mine read it as well as my mom. My coworker kept me motivated to continue while my mom (though she loved the story) was horrified by all the sex. LOL This was, of course, before I revised the book from adult to YA, but truthfully, she still thinks it has a lot of sex in it. Sorry, Mom. I mean, it’s Aiden. How can it not have smoking hot scenes? :)

What would you do if you met Aiden in real life (like what would you think of him)?
Ha! I’d probably stop dead in my tracks and stand there with my mouth hanging open if I saw his hotness walking by. If we *met*, I’d be a mess. I’m married. *this would not be good* So it’s probably best to keep him on the page, though I wouldn’t mind going to the casting auditions for the movie version of Aiden. hehe

Coffee or Tea (or neither)?
Coffee, for sure, though I usually drink decaf because caffeine makes me all kinds of psycho jittery! Cream and two packets of Splenda. Good thing I live in Seattle, huh?

Any tips for aspiring writers?
No matter where you are in your writing process (haven't started, just finished a draft, ready to go with a polished manuscript), start social networking now if you haven't already done so. Create a blog and get followers. Set up an author page on Facebook. Play and connect with other writers (and readers) on Twitter. Join communities on Goodreads, LinkedIn, AbsoluteWrite, Authonomy and others. Marketing is about getting your book in front of people, so the more eyes you have access to, the more successful you will be when the time comes. Above all, be friendly and supportive! And no matter what, never give up. Believe in yourself and give yourself the freedom to make mistakes. That’s how we learn and improve.

3 comments: